And the change is seasons has a similar feeling, moving into autumn where it’s a season of harvest and mellow fruitfulness but at the same time making the preparations for the next year’s crops. So reaping rewards and preparing for the next year. And there’s a buzz in many businesses as people are back from holiday, new projects are scheduled to start after the summer and so on.
So with those things in mind – reflecting on what’s happened and successes, thinking about what next, reviewing plans and strategies what can you do for you and your business?
- Take time to look at your current business plan and check in with where you are now in comparison to the full year? Are all the milestones still relevant? Have things changed that still have to be updated and does that impact on other aspects in the plan?
- What milestones have you achieved, what milestones are coming up and what is in place to achieve them? How have you scheduled your diary and action list to facilitate or do the work? How have others scheduled their diaries and action lists to work with you on this?
- Most business owners and leaders have one or two areas where there’s been little progress for whatever reason but just for now think about each of them and check in with how you feel about them? Do they excite you; are you motivated to take the next step? If the answer is not very or not at all then what’s the likelihood anything is going to change? And so what are you going to do?
- My suggestion is this… let’s say that it’s a new year… if you were to sit and write the business plan now for the next 12 months, knowing what you know now, with the success, progress, and challenges you’ve had so far what would it look like? What are the things you want to achieve? What are the plans and goals that make absolute sense now? At a high level would your three year plan look like?
- Now compare the two plans, which one is the one that feels right, excites you and motivates you? I’m guessing you would choose the same one as me, the new plan as that’s where the business is now and using the knowledge you have you can see the next 12, 24 and 36 months. And if that’s the case then you have a new plan to share don’t you?